Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Crocheting for a Cause

This past week, I taught Keira how to crochet. We've learned before but this time she really got it! I love to crochet. I've done some knitting and still do but, for me, crocheting just comes so much more easily.
When I was around Keira's age my Nanny taught me how to do the chain stitch and single crochet. She wasn't an avid crocheter but she knew the basics and when I became an adult I remembered her teaching me and picked it back up rather easily with just a simple how-to book.


This week we worked on washcloths - the pattern is really for dishcloths but they can be used just the same in the tub and the girls LOVE them! They work up so quickly and are so pretty.
The oil spill disaster has been heavy on my heart each moment. I can't stop thinking about all of those innocent animals and our beautiful earth. I feel so helpless knowing it is out of my hands - feeling as if there is nothing I can do but sit and wait and watch... and pray... and hope.

Then a woman posted a link on Facebook to this wonderful project to help clean the animals affected by this horrible disaster. The project is to make or buy and send in washcloths in groups of 10-20 along with gentle dish soap which will be used to help clean oil-ridden mammals, dolphins and sea birds. I explained the spill to my two oldest daughters and also this wonderful project. They were instantly on a mission to crochet and knit as many washcloths as they can.

It's not much, we know. Our 40 washcloths may help only that many living things - just a drop in the pail. But its something... we're doing something to help... and not just standing by watching it all fall apart.

I encourage you to join along. You do not have to be crafty. You can cut up old towels, sew, knit, crochet or even buy them to send along. They shouldn't be fancy. They will eventually be destroyed by oil and thrown away. We will be crocheting very simple and quick ones for this charity. The deadline says July 3rd - so get your hooks out today.

If you do participate, please leave a link in comments so we can share our positive energy to inspire each other.

xoxox

1 comment: