Saturday, October 2, 2010

Inspiring Creativity

Once in awhile, as parents, we have one of those amazingly perfect... beautiful days... where everything just falls into place and we feel really *good* about where we are and what we are doing. These days may not come as often as they should... most days have a good mixture of ups and downs... but once in awhile, there is a day that is just right. Anyway... today was one of those days for me... the good kind.
We had a busy morning of activities and housestuff and then late afternoon I was in the kitchen preparing a big dinner and I saw the girls out of the kitchen window on the deck... they were so busy and didn't need me - I just knew something must be wrong - so I had to step out to investigate.

There they were - doing this wonderful craft that they thought of on their very own. I think it was Keira's idea... but they got all of their own supplies, found a beautiful assortment of Autumn nature items from their exploring in our backyard and decided to trace pumpkins on paper and glue the nature pieces inside to make these sweet creations...

It was one of those very cool moments for me that I realized all of this hard work we do as parents... especially waldorf-inspired parents.. it really does pay off. All of the crafting, singing, storytelling... all of our reading, studying, TRYING... loving... the children really do absorb it all. It really becomes a part of who they are.

And, as they grow - especially as I saw today with my nine year old daughter... they are able to take what we have given them and CREATE, INVENT, PREPARE, IMAGINE... all on their own. What a beautiful thing we are giving our children. Imagine where they will take this gift into the future....just think of what wonderful things they will do - the change they can inspire in our world.
So we had a wonderful day, a delicious family meal and now three beautiful pumpkin creations to hang up just in time for Autumn. (and they even cleaned up their own mess!)

What more can a mama ask for? My heart is full. (remind me to come back to this post on those more often not-so-great days!)
xoxo


5 comments:

  1. What an exciting moment for you! I continually find myself inspired by the ideas my four year old generates on her own. It's so important that we give them the mental space that allows them to think creatively. You've clearly done a great job with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I love it when my kids do stuff like that. :) Those pumpkins are just adorable! I also really love your new banner. Your autumn table is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love independent kid projects : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Nature IS the art supply :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Eileen, this is lovely! I can so relate to those moments when we are more informed by the silence then the noise and we dscover something constructive and beautiful taking place. Yes, yes. And as one who cares for other people's children too, those moments with my own become even more delicious. Thank you for sharing this.

    Warmly,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete