Recently a very sweet idea came to me - one I've had somewhere in the back of my mind for years but never really knew were to go with it... and I just can't let it go.
I have always been very intrigued by the Waldorf Forest Kindergartens I have heard of where children spend their morning fully immersed in the natural world. This is something I tried to incorporate the best I could in my home childcare program by spending as much time outdoors as possible...
But our property only has a small wooded area and I didn't know what would be involved or where on earth I could hold a true Forest Kindergarten...
Then a sweet place came to me... just a few weeks ago. Out of nowhere. It is a beautiful, natural forest area across from our local library. I started having images of meeting there in the morning with the little children...
Then I thought - how wonderful if I could also offer something for school aged children. What a gift it would be for them to have a day or two per week where they can spend their afternoon after classes in the forest...
So I called the town and asked about using the park - the woman indicated that the group seemed small enough and it was a wonderful idea - I'm a licensed home daycare and it would be considered a weekly field trip.
Then I called the library and asked how they would feel about the children possible coming to the library often if I held such a program across the street, especially if the weather was unbearable. Not a problem at all - as a matter of fact, they indicated we could stay in the children's area as long as we wanted and come as often as we wanted.
Yesterday the girls and I went to scout out this new Forest School of ours. 

There is so much to be discovered there. On this day, we took a trail we had never been on before and came upon a marsh. It was magical... dragonflies passing in front of us, ducks calling from the marsh...
We found nooks, bridges, log "ladders"...
Can you picture our little Forest Kindergarten and Afterschool Program as clearly as I can?
And I already have three students :)
We came across this sweet gnome home...
Now I am working on finding a wonderful assistant or two and students to enroll. I think it will begin just one afternoon per week for the school aged children and one morning per week for Forest Kindergarten and possibly one morning per week here for regular Playgarden. And if it grows, it grows :) What do you think?
what a wonderful place to have programs - I love it! A few months ago I had a similiar idea to do our lessons at the Aboreteum near our house - to hang in the woods once a week. It will be wonderful and so great you have a place to go in bad weather!
ReplyDeleteI have been doing a little research on the Waldkindergarten in Germany & love the idea!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine something more magical or inspiring for little ones...what a wonderful idea!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a great idea. I love Forest Kindys. It's such an awesome thing for children to have extended time outdoors. especially in this age when kids really don't get to explore outside like kids could in times past.
ReplyDeleteFabulous idea and what a great spot! 3 of my guys explored the woods around our old house for years as kindy kids...so good. :)
ReplyDeleteI would just love to have a place like that to go to! But not easy to find when you live in LA looking at the 405 and 118. (and yes, I CAN see both freeways from my living room) I dream of living in the woods! Good luck with the your school, and have lots adventures for me?! Marina.
ReplyDeleteWe live in the German-speaking area of Switzerland (I am American, my husband is Italian) and our son (4) goes to Waldspielgruppe one day a week (5.5 hours). He absolutely loves it! They go out the entire time no matter the weather, which here in the Alps is really unpredictable. A backpack is mandatory, stuffed with clothes to layer on, water bottles and rain gear. They cook lunch over an open fire in the forest each day, and have some craft/story/free play time, as well as hiking and snack breaks. Here is a link to the program he attends. http://www.dusse-verusse.ch/icc.asp? I'm sorry it's only in German but I think if you scroll through the pages, you'll get a very good idea of things anyway.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your program!
If your heart is leading you - then follow it! What a wonderful idea. I'm sure it will grow! Keep us updated on your progress.
ReplyDeleteI, too, love the idea of the Forest Kindy! Sending good vibes for a successful program!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful, magical spot for a forest learning program! We are starting a program here next year. We have 3 acres and 100+ acres surrounding us, so thankfully we don't have to venture too far from home. Sending peace, love and light to you on your new venture.
ReplyDelete