Saturday, March 1, 2014

Organic Farmers Winter Conference

I just got home from an amazing Winter Conference in my area put out by the National Organic Farmers Association.  While not farmers, my neighbor and I like to "call" ourselves organic gardeners (even if I'm still learning)

 It was an all day event with workshops and vendors and a delicious lunch.  It was hard to decide which classes to take.  My friend and I decided not to take the same classes so we can share notes with one another.  It's really wonderful to get to know my neighbor.  We have so much in common and have lived next door for at least ten years and have just realized it :) We planned our gardens together this year and split seeds and gardening orders.  She is homeschooling and I've always had a love for homeschooling.  It goes to show how very important it is to take the time to get to know your neighbors and people in your community.  Someone could be living right next door to you that could turn into a wonderful friend - if only you take the time to know.  
 The lunch was delicious.  I decided to take Plant Disease Management for my first class.  It was good but I wish they would have touched upon insect control too.  I had a horrible issue with cabbage worms last year and I promised myself I wouldn't even try to plant anything in the cabbage family this year (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.)... BUT time heals and I decided to try once again.  I am going to try some companion planting and also coverings at night.  

My next class was Wild Plant Foraging which was wonderful.  I have a love for all things survival and naturalist.  The girls and I have often foraged dandelions as well as the wineberries in our yard.  Now I have even MORE information than I needed :) - I never knew that the pretty Red Clover that covers my lawn was also edible.  

 It was a no-brainer which class to take for my third workshop.  Winemaking 101 was right up my alley :) I didn't realize that it was such a fun and inexpensive hobby to have.  The only thing that seems hard is that the wine must ferment for a year or two.  Patience is not my strong suit but I am still inspired enough to give it a try.  This particular class focused on winemaking with fruits other than grapes.  The instructor indicated that his favorite wine was Elderberry Wine (yum).  I also asked if I could use the wild wineberries in my yard and he said absolutely.  Pretty cool.
 It was a long day and I was happy to come home to my girls.  I bought a lot of goodies including some yummy beeswax candles, seeds, organic clothing and an animal tracking field guide.  It really was a fun day.
 
I'm excited now more than ever for spring to come so I can get my hands dirty again.  But first, I'll need to weather the snowstorm coming tomorrow ;)  

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment