Friday, January 31, 2014

Fruit and Oatmeal Breakfast

So it has been freezing cold in Connecticut.  And when I say freezing, I'm really not kidding.  We've had temps under 0 degrees and it's getting old fast!  As much as I love snow and a warm fire, I am not a fan of subzero temps.  In an effort to keep the girls warm, I've tried hot oatmeal in the morning.  The homemade yummy kind with all sorts of fruits and sweet things.  But, they just hate it.  Aren't Waldorfy kids supposed to love oats and grains and stuff? 
Determined to try to get my girls to embrace oats, I did some Pinteresting and found this very yummy recipe for cold breakfast oatmeal.  I figured I'd give it a twist and a try.  Even if it won't warm them up, at least it will help them to eat healthy in the mornings.  And I've noticed whenever they help make their own food, they enjoy it a lot more...
 
Basically you find yourself some canning or mason jars and fill them up with lots of stuff.  

Here is the stuff we used:

Vanilla Greek Yogurt
Flax Seed
Granola 
Fresh Cut Fruit 
Rolled Oats
Organic Milk

For Sweetener Options:
Vanilla Extract
Organic Applesauce
100% Maple Syrup
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar


I almost felt like I tricked the girls when I had them add the Flax Seed :) - They were so excited to have yet another cool thing to put into their jars.  Each girl filled four jars for the week.
First they filled their jars with about 1/3 yogurt.  A few tablespoons of milk and the flax seed.  There really is no right or wrong with measurements.  I would just be sure you have enough yogurt to make it thick enough and leave enough room for your granola, sweeteners and fruit.


I had each girl think ahead about one or two fruits and two sweeteners for each jar.   Maple syrup was our favorite sweetener.  
After you add your yogurt, milk, flax seed and sweeteners (hold off on the granola and fruit), have the kids put the tops on their jars very tightly and shake, shake, shake!  This is a great part for little children to help with. 
 Open your jars back up and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of granola.
 Choose and cut up your fruit into small pieces.  
 And add it to the top as much as you can while still being able to close the lid.
These can stay well in the fridge for 4-5 days.  We did not use banana as The Yummy Life indicated that they will not last as long and that makes sense.  By the way, go check out her jars - they look a lot prettier ;)
The girls loved them this morning and Brianna even had a half of one when she got back from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment