Friday, January 22, 2010

Waldorf Afterschooling

As many of you know, we are not currently a homeschooling family. Homeschooling is not even something I would have ever likely considered until I came up with the idea to write my monthly seasonal guides and offer them to the public.

I originally thought they would be an excellent tool for natural childcare providers.. but all of a sudden an entirely different group of amazing, inspiring and committed parents were purchasing my program and coming into my world. Now, three years later, I would say that the majority of my customers are homeschoolers along with some home childcare providers and even quite a few little 'schools'.
As I would visit some of these homeschooler's blogs and websites, I was blown away by the fact that there was this entire community of like-minded parents out there - providing an excellent education for their children, often using my guides as a supplement, at home! I started to wonder why on earth I wasn't homeschooling.
But... with a full daycare and trying to find time to squeeze in writing - the idea of homeschooling, while extremely appealing, scared me. How would I ever find the time? Would the girls be able to get out of the house and participate in all of the amazing homeschooling co-ops and activities in my area? Could I focus on two business AND putting together a program for my own children to learn at home?


I went back and forth in my mind about the pros and the cons. I thought of so many different scenarios and possibilities. But something, deep inside me, held me back. Maybe it was fear... Would they find enough playmates? Would I get burnt out? Or maybe, it was just my inner knowledge... that homeschooling, right now at this time in our lives, may not work well for us. I would likely have to give up writing the guides - reconsider offering daycare.... how many lives would those decisions affect? Would I miss my own 'work'?


As a result, we did not move forward with homeschooling. Then I started to have feelings of guilt... Who was I to offer parents ideas and suggestions in their homeschool when I, myself, wasn't a homeschooler? This bothered me deeply. Would people feel that I was a hypocrite? Was I just letting fear stand in my way of homeschooling? Maybe I shouldn't be writing the guides anyway... See the pattern? Don't we all do this to ourselves? The 'I'm not good enough' thing. WHY do we do this to ourselves?
But then somewhere I came across this quote "Never apologize for the things you do well.".

Wow. I was receiving so many emails and so much feedback from moms who just couldn't seem to keep it all together until they found my guides - my writing was helping others and in turn, helping their children. Did it really matter whether or not I was homeschooling myself? Didn't we all want the same thing for our children?


Then I thought of all the other moms and dads out there who, for one reason or another, are not homeschooling like myself. Maybe both parents must work full-time, maybe they do not feel its a good option for their children, maybe they tried it and it didn't work out. I'm sure I am not alone.

And, what about the parents out there who were drawn to the beauty and truth of Waldorf Education but could not, for one reason or another, send their child to a waldorf school or homeschool them with the method? I wondered if they also felt this "not good enough", "not waldorf enough" voice in the back of their heads. I'm sure.


And, how unfair that those of us who want the beauty of Waldorf in our lives but can't offer it to our children in the form of their day to day education - can't have it. I hardly think this is what Rudolf Steiner wanted.... I think he would have wanted it to touch everyone's lives, in many different ways.... in ANY way possible until maybe one day, it IS the way most schools function.


What I am doing is supplementing my girls education at home with the things that I feel they are missing in their traditional school environment. In the afternoons and weekends, we spend hours outside gardening or on nature walks, we learn the proper way to watercolor paint, how to use beeswax crayons, make nature notebooks, learn how to sew, to knit, to crochet, we do nature crafts and learn about animals and cooking. We fill our home with quality wooden toys - many made ourselves - we read quality literature and fairy tales - we avoid commercialized media and pop-culture's songs of the week - we try our best to find the balance of living in a technological world without compromising our girl's right to a natural childhood. Maybe it isn't perfect but it is, at the very least, "good enough".


Do I still think about homeschooling? Daily. There are so many things that could be better in my girl's current school. I'm even currently thinking up a plan of how to do it next year :) ... But, the world is not a perfect place. And I'm not going to try to be perfect... I don't want my children to do that to themselves when they are adults either. All we can do as parents is our part to provide our children with the best experience possible, at that given moment. It's all about living in the moment, people.
So, where does that leave us? Where is OUR place within the Waldorf community? Well, for this very moment, I've decided to coin us 'Waldorf Afterschoolers' :) ... this is subject to change one day in the future... or maybe not - and I'm at peace with whatever it is meant to be right now.

I know there are more of you out there... speak up and make yourself known. Be proud of who you are and what you are doing and never apologize.

xoxo
Eileen

31 comments:

  1. wow, thank you. This was wonderful to hear. Circumstances will dictate, against my heart, that my daughter attend a local public school whne the time comes, and I'm heart broken...

    maybe then, our circumstances will allow me to homeschool...we'll see.

    Thanks
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen, I haven't started to home-school yet - my girls are still young - but I do offer them Waldorf lifestyle. I love and embrace your newly coined term - I think you are onto something big.

    Namaste,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I completely identify with being a "Waldorf afterschooler". I live on an island that has a waldorf-inspired preschool, but its hours do not accommodate full-time working parents. We do not have any grade school waldorf options here either. I try to incorporate all the crafts and activities I love about waldorf education into the time I spend with my children in the afternoon and weekends. I love your learning guides and blog and they have given me many wonderful ideas. Your finger knitting video inspired me to sign up my 8 year old daughter and myself for knitting classes! She is currently knitting a scarf for the waldorf doll she got for Christmas.

    Sincerely,
    Jenn W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I loved this post! My son is 2 years old, so we haven't thought about school yet. Hopefully a waldorf school will be an option. I admit I have a bit of a bias with homeschooling because many of the students I met in college at my conservative Christian school were homeschooled and "odd."

    After looking long and hard into the Waldorf way, I am tempted to try it, because our business keeps us traveling the world. I figure, I have a degree in education, I can manage to teach my own kids!
    Whether or not that happens, I have always wanted to care for children at our home, as I was a nanny until my son was born. Next year, I have the option of caring for a few kids and I may find myself turning to your guides for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!
    Now we have a name that will help explain our decisions.
    It broke my heart that the girls wouldn't be going to our first choice of school or be homeschooled.
    Luckily we found a school just as wonderful for them but now we will most certainly be "Waldorf Afterschoolers"!
    I see blog rings, co-ops...the sky's the limit! XXxx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your a wise woman for taking the whole picture into consideration. We are on Brenda's group together and I have enjoyed your input there. I have five children, two graduated, a freshman who is experiencing his first year in a public school as well as my 4th grade daughter. I am learning at home with my kindergartener Lydia. I do wish the Waldorf schools here in western MA were affordable--that's where they would be, but at 12,000 per year it just can't be. I wonder too if Steiner would have been disappointed with this turn of events:-) Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - Waldorf after schooler-the term in itself help mainstream school goers a relief.
    I am pretty new to WALDORF and was searching net for drawing and painting Waldorf way.I was wondering as to whether I will be able to introduce my daughter to this wonderful paintings without WALDORF SCHOOLING OR NOT.
    THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE ANSWER.
    Please help me if you have any resources for painting and drawing in Waldorf way.
    Thanks in advance
    NEETU

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post for me on so many levels as I advise and write for teachers yet don't teach in the classroom. I have had the guilts myself, but the teachers remind me that I have the time to actually think deeply about some things that they don't.

    My girls attend a Waldorf school (although my oldest moves to high school next year), but we also supplement at home in, perhaps, an opposite way than you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Eileen,
    I can't find your email and woukd like to contact you. I might be coming to Connecticut in June (Limepark-Lakeville) and would like to know where you live.

    Grazie, ciao
    Federica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have felt the same way! Thanks so much for sharing that. We are also a "Waldorf Afterschooling" Family and are happy, but I constantly question that, because I feel I should.
    Thanks for making me appreciate where we are at the moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eileen, This was a very insightful post and we are so blessed that Lilah is in your care. You should be SO proud of who you are. As you know I struggled to find a daycare for Lilah since I was not able to stay home with her and we are all so happy to have found Little Acorn and you.

    I was just sharing with my mom my hopes that one day we can afford to send Lilah to Waldorf school...but if not I would love to learn the "Waldorf afterschooler" method from you!

    Thank you for all you do for us and for the many other mothers, fathers, caregivers and children you reach.

    xoxo,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to go back and read your post again but I am one of those mothers who was drawn to the Waldorf philosophy but we could not afford the tuition unless I worked full-time. I have always tried to bring that sensibility into our household and now that they are teens and a pre-teen,I can see where the seeds have been sown- especially in the way they have a reverence for art, nature, and overall peace. So good luck to you in making your decision. And please know, it is blogs like yours that inspire me to pursue my true calling of working with young children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again your blog has been a Waldorf inspiration to me...Waldorf Aftercare, I LOVE it!!! I've always been an believer in public education (that it's for everyone & if we don't like it it's part of our job to fix it for the better)...but the reality is it won't be the same as homeschooling Waldorf. But as there are no likeminded Waldorf homeschooling families around us I don't want to further alienate my kids. That doesn't mean that Waldorf hasn't changed the way I parent or touched every part of our home life since I started reading up on Steiner and everything I could that was related. It has totally changed our family. So, thanks for thoughts and for the inspiration over the last year that I've been a reader!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just want to thank everyone for their comments. It blows me away to know that so many people actually come here to listen to me babble :) It makes me feel wonderful to know there are others out there who are dealing with the same struggles.
    xoxo
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your blog through your waldorf mama sponsorship. I was going to forward your website to our home daycare provider.

    Few things i feel compelled to comment on.
    1) we too have not chosen formal waldorf schooling. For a host of reasons including that the home daycare our children attend is like an extended part of our family. While i'd love them to receive a "formal" waldorf education, i've decided i more highly value the love and "family-like" connections we've been lucky to nurture for the past 5 years they've attended.

    2) i too decided on an "afterschooler" path and have been trying to identify "formal" waldorf afterschool programs. I haven't found much so i've just been making it up as i go.

    I'm completely excited to hear that your guides might offer a "formal" but diy approach to our situation. Can you explain if there are new guides coming out that are specifically designed for "afterschoolers" or any way to encourage those of your subscribers adapting your guides to discuss their adaptations? I always hate to recreate the wheel!

    Tamra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Eileen, thank you so very much for this eloquent, beautiful post! Finances preclude us from sending our children to a Waldorf school and I know in my heart that I don't have what it takes to homeschool at this time. In the back of my head a voice was chastising me for making a choice (to send my sons to public school) that "wasn't Waldorf enough"... you've helped quiet that voice. I love your guides in that they help me provide for my kids what traditional education doesn't... thank you for all that you do <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you so much for this eileen.

    we are preparing to send our daughter to public school next year after 3 years in a beautiful waldorf-inspired nursery school.

    i have gone around and around (and around) in my head on many of the issues you spoke of in this post.

    thank you so much for your words. i really needed to read them.

    ~erin

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a tale of two girls that might help some!

    I am a single parent. I teach a Waldorf inspired preschool out of my home! My oldest daughter became best friends with another girl in our school. The two bright and happy girls never left each other's side. They spent hours creating, imagining, and playing together. If you could only have seen the light and happiness in their eyes! Eventually the time came for the choice to be made. Public school vs. homeschool. As a teacher well educated in pedagogy I knew which choice was best. And yet knowing what was best and despite my many awards and recognitions as a teacher, I still felt unconfident in teaching my daughter. Although the decision terrified me I still made the leap of faith in myself to homeschool. My daughter's best friend (whose father was a public school teacher) went off to public school. Her father looked down his nose at my decision and expressed his concerns and discontentment. I really wondered if what I was doing was best.

    A year later..............
    My daughter still has that joy, contentment and love of learning. She has blossomed in ways I can't even express. Her best friend unfortunately I can't say the same. She has lost her ability to play, to create, she hates learning, and to see this child now you would not believe her the same one as before. She is hardened, introverted, confused, without direction. It makes me sad to see such a profound change in a child with whom I was so close and to whom I dedicated so much to her development to see it stifled as it is now. I never would have thought public school would change a child as much as I have seen. Unfortunately I have seen this same result time and time again now.

    I found it very easy and natural to blend in Waldorf homeschooling into our daily routine. I found joy and satisfaction in homeschooling where I thought I would find burden. I look back now and wonder why I had such fear and doubt? I think deep down it was that society had influenced me, as it does many parents, that I was not "qualified" to teach my child. That supposed socialization and structure found in public school was what was best. When the truth couldn't be more opposite! As parents we know our child intimately. We can see the tiny changes in their development and have natural instincts for the flexibility to offer what is needed to encourage their growth. We have a vested interest in our children's happiness and education far superior than any teacher ever could. And yes, homeschool children ARE socialized. Who ever said that socialization had to include 25 children who are given little nurturing and a dog eat dog kind of atmosphere? Sorry for the long comment but I just had to say to those who aren't sure; take that leap of faith, follow your instincts, the reward is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for that term! I usually say that we like to supplement our kids' schooling in a natural and creative way, but your term is so lovely, descriptive and perfect in many less words. :) Good luck on your journey. I sometimes wonder if I fit in the Waldorf homeschooling blogland, but I know that I do in spirit, if not totally in practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANK YOU for sharing this. Afterschoolers is a term I had been searching for for a long time since for our family, our children will attend public school. Although when I think/talk about it I say that we'll mostly be homeschoolers that attend day school in the public system -- that when they get home at 3pm and on all their many days off they will be homeschooled, child led mostly... and this post really resonates with me. Thank you!
    (i found you via Marina at a small tribe!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog! As an ex-Waldorf afterschool teacher and current public school teacher AND mom to a 5 year old, I am really appreciating your posts. This one particularly resonates with me. I think for teachers, we always have to balance between teaching our own children and teaching others' children! I started blogging my afterschooling efforts at http://afterschoolexpat.blogspot.com/ and hope to start teachingsome Waldolf based activities soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love hearing about new homeschoolers getting started. I think homeschooled kids have stronger values and better character than their peers, and the relationship I have with my mom who homeschooled me is extraordinary. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Eileen, I so needed to read this. I am so unsure of my decision not to go with the local waldorf school because I really wanted to educate her this way. Our local primary seems really lovely (and peaceful for a public school!) but I felt that she would still be missing out. For a fairly choleric child (so far), I feel she really needs that gentle, rhythmic, nourishing environment. My hubby wouldn't agree to me homeschooling her and lord knows I have no patience! Still, I feel that this may be a way to get the best out of both worlds. As my mother-in-law says, they live in this fast paced technological world and we do, in some part, have to prepare them to live meaningfully in it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Eileen, for demonstrating that one size does not fit all, and that there are many ways to bring beauty and meaning to a child's (and a parent's!) life.

    My 13-year-old son has been home-educated his whole life (and with Waldorf curricula since age 9); my almost-seven-year-old son is attending public school, something I said my children would NEVER do. It's not perfect, and many aspects of it make me cringe and even grieve, but he is thriving. I think we need to acknowledge that these little souls truly do have their own agendas, and it's pretty audacious of us to assume that we always know what those are.

    And as you said, perhaps we mothers have other vital creative work to do in the world. I am a part-time massage therapist, and since my little one began outschooling in October, people have been appearing out of the blue in significant numbers asking me for a particular variety of subtle-energy work that I do. Ah, the mystery of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I try to do as much "after schooling" as is possible. I feel home life is just as important, if not more so, than any school. Thanks so much for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is what I had in mind lately ~ thank you for putting it out there! After Waldorf-inspired homeschooling my daughter for three years I have decided to put her in the local school here. It is alternative but I do feel compelled to continue on with our core values and traditions that were supported by our past curriculum. I find comfort in remembering she had and still has that foundation of Waldorf inspired homelife for the first crucial years. I will monitor how this year goes but she has blossomed to a special, confident little girl thanks to this sacred refuge we have as a home in a large part inspired by Steiner's teachings so I have the feeling she'll be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. such a great post...i found it through kathy stowell's blog post...and i think i'll be linking to it from one of my posts soon too! Great words. We are homeschooling and loving it, but could easily not be if another child had come to me...so child specific these decisions. Balanced with needs of the family...argh! I love that term 'waldorf afterschool'...it just might stick! Happy to have found your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post. I would love to send my children to a Waldorf school but it is completely out of reach financially. So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This post is very comforting to me! We homeschool two of our kids and our oldest goes to ps and it is working well for her. Having said that, our home is not always "Waldorf Approved" in every moment. We don't watch a lot of TV, but we do have computers and devices that are used each week (limited exposure). Not all of our toys are wooden, but we are slowly phasing in more natural toys and phasing out plastic toys as the kids' interest in those toys wanes.

    We do try to get out into nature and use a Waldorf-inspired homeschool approach. We aren't the "crunchiest" family around, but we try to make better decisions all the time. To me, it is more important to make the small changes that make sense as we go along rather than to give up because our home doesn't resemble someone else's.

    Thanks for the reminder that it's totally OK to simply do our best :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello,

    Thank you so much for this article. I always thought my children would have a Waldorf (at least a Waldorf inspired) education. The cost of Waldorf schools renders it impossible for our family. For many reasons homeschooling has not (yet) worked for our family. My oldest has entered traditional school. I feel like a failure in many ways but recognize that we all have our own paths and striving. I hope in the future homeschooling may be possible for my family.

    But right now i believe this is what we need and I thank you very much. I resist doing anything with them in the short evening times because I just want the children to be able to reconnect and play but I am inspired to provide more of this sort of environment for them and have these sorts of activities ready when they open in that way.

    I thank you for showing me that we don't have to "give up" our beliefs and surrender when we need to send our children to school. That we can be empowered and provide the counter...the nurturing of wholeness at home.

    thank you so much

    ReplyDelete